Freedom Cry is a faith-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working in partnership with our community and others to break the cycle of human trafficking in Sheboygan County, WI through prevention and support resources.
Human trafficking is modern day slavery. Traffickers trap victims in servitude and exploitation through force, fraud, or coercion. Trafficking even happens here in America. Trafficking takes many forms, but about 80% of trafficking in Wisconsin is sex trafficking. Most victims are women and girls. Trafficking has been documented in every county in Wisconsin, and Sheboygan County is tied with Racine County for the second highest number of documented cases after Milwaukee County. Seeing the need to fight this evil in our own backyard, we decided to take action.
Freedom Cry is there for human trafficking survivors every step of the way in their journey of healing.
- Restoration Bags - Through the Sheboygan Police Department and in collaboration with Love Inc, we provide human trafficking survivors with restoration bags containing new clothing, toiletries, and comfort items. Many survivors are not used to wearing normal clothing or owning anything of their own, so these items help to rebuild their dignity.
- Trial Process - We support justice for survivors by standing in solidarity with them through the trial process and providing them meals.
- Mentoring - We are trained facilitators in the Ending the Game curriculum for survivors of human trafficking. Ending the Game is a "1st of it's kind coercion resiliency curriculum that reduces feelings of attachment to traffickers and/or a lifestyle characterized by commercial sexual exploitation, thereby reducing the rate of recidivism among sex trafficking suvivors."
- Safe Home Placement - We place survivors in safe homes around the state and country suited to meet their specific needs. Our long term goal is to establish a safe home for survivors in Sheboygan County.
In addition, one of our volunteers offers tattoo removal services to victims as many survivors of human trafficking were forced to get tattoos that symbolize their trafficker "owns" them. We are also currently collaborating with others in our community to create a plan to help survivors overcome legal and employment obstacles.
Freedom Cry seeks to prevent human trafficking in our county before it occurs.
- Community Awareness - We provide human trafficking awareness presentations to the community to encourage prevention.
- Hope's Hearts - We facilitate Hope's Hearts, a community art project in collaboration with the John Michael Kohler Arts Center, created to bring hope, encouragement, and helpful crisis resources to the community to prevent human trafficking.
- Major Sporting Events Outreach- We educate strategic populations in Sheboygan County on trafficking indicators before major sporting events to aid police in victim recovery.
- Surveillance - We monitor strategic locations in Sheboygan County for trafficking activity or indicators to aid police in victim recovery.
Freedom Cry Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation. Contributions to Freedom Cry Inc. are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law. Our EIN is 81-4395944.